New Faculty Program
UITL's Faculty Foundation, Impact, Transformation (FIT) program is a set of coordinated learning experiences for new and developing teachers and their mentors at The Ohio State University. The year-long programming focuses on active support for instructional faculty at differing levels of experience, and particularly strives to engage faculty new to Ohio State.
Areas of Focus
Faculty FIT seeks to engage faculty early, build community and encourage reflection on excellent teaching programming. Opportunities are offered along three areas of focus designed to meet the needs of the diverse community of teachers new to Ohio State and include:
For faculty new to teaching; to accelerate adoption of evidence-based teaching practices and improve effectiveness and efficiency of teaching.
For faculty with some prior teaching experience; to develop greater expertise in educational pedagogy and enhance their reputation and influence as an educator.
For experienced faculty; to develop mentorship skills and expertise as an advocate for institutional goals. This pathway is for the “master teacher” who seeks to shape university culture and policy and advance learning achievement at Ohio State.
"Who dares to teach must never cease to learn."
– John Cotton Dana, librarian
Faculty FIT begins with a day-long Kickoff Event as part of the University’s New Faculty Orientation.
- From there, new faculty are offered the chance to join small mentoring cohorts of three to four new faculty members and one experienced Ohio State faculty member mentor who has been hand-picked and is known for excellent teaching. Cohorts typically meet monthly throughout the academic year.
- New faculty are also invited to engage in professional learning through formal and informal workshops, online courses and events sponsored by UITL and its partners.
- A monthly Faculty FIT newsletter highlights those teaching and learning workshops and special events.
- An End-of-Year Celebration features reflections and recognition of all we have accomplished since the start of the year.